Monday 25 August 2014

Fake Naked Basics

I recently saw a rip off Naked Basics on eBay from China for £3.89 and thought I'd pick one up so I could compare it to my genuine Urban Decay Naked Basics. I am always very cautious buying eye make up from china since I had a bad reaction to one of the "88 palettes" a while ago but I thought I'd try this out just to see if it would be of a better quality.


Packaging:
The first thing you notice is the packaging, although it's a slightly darker shade this is the exact same as the genuine Naked Basics; the only difference is the lack of the code on the back of the palette in the bottom right hand corner. This also has the same mirror inside the length of the lid along with the six pans along the base with the names underneath, the fake does have slight spelling errors/faults in some of the names though. They have clearly spent a lot of time perfecting the copying of this packaging to trick people into buying their counterfeit products which isn't exactly something the should be proud of.

The shades:
In the pan the shades look exactly the same however when swatched a lot of the shades are very different, the two brown shades are a lot paler in the fake when swatched or applied to the eye and the black also isn't as dark or as much of a "true" black. The first three shades are pretty much the same as those in the genuine palette when swatched or applied to the eye but every single of one of the shades lacks the pigmentation of the genuine shadows.


Formulation:
This is where we notice the real difference, the fake Naked Basics shadows have a really terrible formulation and are super difficult to work with. The shadows are all very much powdery and don't blend well, when you do try to blend these they become patchy and messy. These also get a lot of fallout which makes applying them and blending for a smoky eye very difficult unfortunately, I do think they could have spend a little less time trying to rip people off and a little more time making a better formulation they could have come up with a much better palette.

Overall:
This palette truly is awful, I don't understand why these people would want to waste their time making a fake; never mind how the hell they thought they could get away with passing this atrocity off as an Urban Decay Naked Basics palette. You'd paid £3.89 for this which means for an extra 2p you could have got yourself a Make Up Revolution Redemption palette, obviously I bought this to do the comparison so I knew I could be wasting my money  but I had no idea just how rubbish this would be. I also ordered a rip off Too Faces Boudoir Eyes palette to see what the quality of that would be and I can say it's much of the same, a lot of effort put into copying packaging and no effort put into the eye shadows themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment