Tuesday 12 August 2014

Wide Eyes Tips & Tricks

Let's face it, we're all looking for that wide eyed "I got my 8 hours last night" look. There are a number of things we can do to achieve this but I thought I'd share the tips and tricks I use to disguise my sleepy eyes.

Curlers
The most important thing you can do when trying to open up the eyes is to invest in a decent set of eyelash curlers, curling your lashes really is magic; I use the Eyeko curlers because I like the handles on these compared to the "scissor" style handles. Use light pressure at multiple positions down the length of the lashes to ensure that they're all curled evenly, I always do this before applying mascara as curling after mascara can cause the lashes to break.

Mascara
Follow the curling I like to go in with a mascara that lengthens and separates the lashes so I'm not left with the clumpy spider lash issue, I've done a post on my current mascaras here but my favourite of the moment is the George Lash Xtend. This mascara gives great length without any clumps and doesn't smudge throughout the day which can cause you to look even more tired. One other tip I'd give is to use a waterproof mascara as this holds a curl better than the regular formulas and also to use a special bottom lash mascara like the Clinique one to prevent bottom lash smudging.

Lashes
Another thing that helps achieve the fuller lashes is to use a serum to increase lash growth, I'm a fan of the Mavala Switzerland Double-Lash serum which I find really helps give me fuller longer lashes and prevents the usual falling out of my lashes. I've also found that my lashes fall out most when I'm removing my eye make up so I'd also suggest being as gentle as possible, this will also help to stop any damage to the sensitive skin around the eyes.

Liner
Something that can help the lashes look fuller and the eyes look more open is to tight line the upper lashes, to do this I use The Body Shop Eye Definer in Black as I find this really does stay all day. The other eye liner that I find helps me to look more awake is the Rimmel Scandaleyes in Nude along the waterline, some people like to use white in the waterline but I find this too harsh so nude is a nice compromise.

Eye Cream
A good eye cream is the base of a good wide awake look, if your eyes are not well moisturised they're going to look tired and dull so eye cream is something I suggest investing in. I'm currently loving the Clinique All About Eyes Rich because it's super thick and moisturising but doesn't leave a greasy sheen like some eye creams do, this means my concealer has a nice base to adhere to but won't be sliding around.

Concealer
On the subject of concealers I want to talk about a couple that I really think do help to make me look more awake when I'm feeling less than perky, the first is the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer which gives good coverage and also has a radiant glow to it.  The other is the Soap & Glory Blur and Brighten crayon which is more of a highlighter but also gives some coverage, this is my go to when I'm looking extremely tired as it's long lasting as well as brightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment