Friday 25 July 2014

Make Up Revolution vs Make Up Academy - Palettes

There has been a big hype recently about Make Up Revolution and that it is the new Make Up Academy, both are budget brands and have pretty similar products; I have three MUA palettes and three Make Up Revolution palettes so I thought I'd do a bit of a comparison of their £4 palettes.

Firstly I'll fill you in on what palettes I have;

MUA
Undressed - 12 neutral shades, 3 mattes and 9 shimmers, 9.6g.
Starry Night - 12 metallic shades, 3 satin and 9 shimmers, 9.6g.
Ever After - 10 shades, all matte, 10g.
Make Up Revolution
Romantic Smoked - 12 shades, 6 mattes and 6 shimmers, 14g
Iconic 2 - 12 shades, 4 mattes and 8 shimmers, 14g
Romantic Smoked - Again because my order got messed up.

Packaging-
I'm not sure why but the Make Up Revolution Packaging just looks nicer than the MUA packaging, I think it's the strips in stead of circles, they remind me more of high end palettes (such as Urban Decay). The rose gold writing on the Make Up Revolution packaging also screams class compared to the silver of the MUA, we all know rose gold is the in thing recently.

Size -
The Make Up Revolution palettes are bigger than the MUA palettes and generally contain more product; the MUA palettes have between 9.6g-10g where the Make Up Revolution palettes have 14g of product. Which going on price per weight makes the Make Up Revolution palettes better value for money.

Selection-
MUA have a more limited collection than Make Up Revolution with their variety of thirteen palettes in the £4 range compared to MUA's 11. The MUA palettes all seem to be variations of the same 12 shades where as Make Up Revolution have covered all the bases.

Shades - 
The MUA palettes tend to have mostly shimmers (except the Ever After palette) which I'm not a fan of, I like to have a more even mixture of mattes and shimmers which is why the Romantic Smoked has to be my favourite of the whole bunch. The Make Up Revolution shades tend to be much more wearable too, they're more flattering shades. I find some of the MUA shades can look cheap and wash me out where as the Make Up revolution shades brighten up the face, however the MUA palettes are lovely for the night out looks when you want to go big or go home.

Fall out -
I'm not going to lie, both of the brands do give fall out but I have high end palettes that cause a world of fall out. I think the main way to reduce fall out is to not pick up too much product, these eye shadows tend to be very soft which causes you to pick up a lot of product on your brush so blowing off some of the product first can also be helpful.

Staying Power-
Both eye shadows have a pretty good staying power for a £4 palette, I need a good eye shadow primer at all times because my lids are an oily mess. I can get about 5-6 hours wear out of both palettes which is only a couple of hours less than I'd get from my high end palettes, which isn't bad considering that they're a good amount cheaper than those palettes.

Overall-
I'd say that Make Up Revolution currently have the market here for eye shadow palettes but I am still in love with my MUA Undressed palettes, they're all excellent palettes and I'm glad I have each and every one of them. For £4 all of these palettes are worth taking a look into especially since they're amazing quality and could give the high end palettes a run for their money!

No comments:

Post a Comment